Just a short update on the girls’ adoption. We are still waiting for the final declaration by the judge. It has gone to the D.A. and now it’s just waiting. We should be getting it very soon. While in Lima we talked with the embassy and got the low down on requirements for the girls to get into the U.S. I’ll try to explain it the best I can.
First, the U.S.views legal custody from the time that we got the legal placement (Colocación) from the judge which was September 30th, 2008. That means to start the paper work to immigrate the girls we have to wait until September 30th 2010. We would have to file an I-130, which still wouldn’t get the girls U.S. citizenship.
Second, the U.S. penalizes us the days that we are out of the country (Peru). They require 2 years (730 days) of us living with the girls (in our legal custody) in Peru. That means that the 2 weeks in January that I was in the states has to be added on to September 30th, 2010. So technically, it would be mid October until we could file the I-130. Also, I was told that the I-130 would take about a month to process.
Please keep us in your prayers. We are praying and trying to decide what is best. Option 1: Just wait until we can immigrate the girls and go home some time next November. Option 2: Try to get the girls a tourist visa and go home for a little over 5 months (and just be penalized for those days) so we can see family and raise more support. Both options have their drawbacks and benefits. Pray that the Lord would show us what is best.